Saturday, September 14, 2013

Can You Hear Me Now?

Be flexible.  Mission trips always take you out of your comfort zone.  I know this - I share this with every mission team I lead.  It doesn't matter how many times I have been ON MISSION - this still applies to me personally.  The following story is one way I experienced this on last year's trip.  

The church grounds were bustling with activity.  There were people everywhere.  Word was out that North Americans were in the village and were offering a free medical clinic at the local church.  When school was out mid-day the children followed us across the street to the church.  They wanted to hear us talk and giggle at our attempts to speak a little Spanish to them.  The wanted to see the treasures that were inside our bags.  The loved to craft with those treasures.  Bubbles were being blown and lolly pops were handed out.  Quickly a huge line had been formed with the desire to be seen by the medical team.  

Then it happened.  One of our medical team members stepped out and said I need a volunteer to wash out this man's ear.  People looked at each other - none of us jumping at this opportunity.  I was privately having a talk with Jesus.  It went something like this- Yes, Lord I know that I am the leader of this trip.  I realize I need to be willing to do anything.  I know I tell every single team our key word is being FLEXIBLE! But cleaning out an ear Lord?  I am not sure if me and my semi weak stomach can handle this Lord.  

It seemed like an eternity since he asked but it was simply a minute or so.  I finally stood up and said I will.  I received instructions and supplies to begin this task.  I poured, drained and smiled at the man.  He couldn't speak English and I only knew a few phrases in Spanish.  I poured, drained and smiled for over an hour.  To be honest I wasn't even sure my actions were making a difference.  

After a period of time our medical team asked the man to come back tomorrow and we would have some supplies to better help with his ears.  In the meantime a mom who is a worship leader at the church came in. She was having problems with her ears as well.  I was asked to give her the same "treatment" as I did the older gentleman.  She was pretty apprehensive but after some chatting through a translator she was ready.   So I began to pour, drain, pour, drain, etc.  By this time one of our team members came and said she would help too. I will be honest, it doesn't seem like much but by this time I did need a break.  She continued on and this mom was instructed to come back the next day as well.  

As I did this task I pondered the fact that most of these individuals do not have access to medical treatment.  I was told some never have had medical treatment for their aliments.  This village is pretty far out from the city- what we would call "the sticks".  Their village does not have many things we consider necessities.  The level of poverty in this village is indescribable.  I have tried to explain it to the best of my ability to people who ask me about this village.  But my words can't adequately express the things you can't see, smell, touch and even feel.  

The two came back the next day with smiles on their faces.  They happily explained through a translator that they could hear.  The translator explained they both thought they were going deaf.  And after an afternoon at the clinic they could hear better than they had in a long time.  I treated the man for a while that day too.  We sent each of them with some simple supplies to continue to help with an issue that is evidently very common - a build up of ear wax.  I am told in the United States it is simple procedure to remove it.  In Nicaragua- they had no way of knowing what was wrong or how to fix it not to mention it had gone a lifetime untreated.  One of our medical personnel shared with me he wasn't sure we would be able to help the older gentleman because of the extent of the buildup.  

When the man left that day he gave me a big hug and thanked me profusely.  The lady came by again before our team left for the day.  She wanted to thank us one more time.  She cried lots of tears as she thanked us.  I have to admit I cried too.  

I didn't write this because it has anything to do with me.  It certainly isn't about me washing out an ear.  What it is about is things I take for granted- things I think quite often we all take for granted.  

It is also about being obedient.  It is about hearing His voice, listening to what He is calling us to do and quite simply being obedient to do it.  

It made me thankful for physically being able to hear but also the opportunity to hear on a spiritual level as well.   

What is He calling you to do today?  Do you hear Him?  


Mrs. Tara 

No comments:

Post a Comment